Thursday, February 8, 2018

Inspirations for a New Quilt

A while back, I was visiting John C. Campbell Folk Art School in North Carolina. It is a beautiful place and provides endless opportunities of inspiration for art.  I do a lot of picture taking so while walking around the campus, I came upon many wonderful and interesting things to photograph. 
This old water wheel, still in place was corroded and scarred from the passage of time. The stone wall behind it was stained and boasted of many hours of being subjected to rushing waters.
It was old, it was worn and it was beautiful in its own right.
The moss and crumbling rocks just added to the charm.
I was feeling a very strong connection to this water wheel and the beautiful plant life, weeds and moss.
I also found some amazing doors which I love to photograph, especially the very old and worn ones.
Now here's a door for you....brightly painted with beautiful latching.
However,  this is more to my liking - the old painted peeling door...
and this which is not really a door but some wonderful weathered wood.
So I had to decide and the water wheel won out.  I put the photograph into Photoshop elements and turned it into a black and white and then did "find edges" in filters...
and this one which is "photocopy" in filters. I've always liked the "find edges" as I think it gives you more of a feel of values and distinct lines...but both will be used in the design process. Stay tuned for the step by steps on how this photo became a quilt.

6 comments:

  1. You certainly do have some great shots and what inspiration for sure!!! WOW! Love that door photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to see what you do with it. I love old doors, well lots of old worn things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning pictures! Any one of them would make a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos with so much texture inspiration. Will be watching as this unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those doors! Great inspiration there. I’ve never heard of the find edges filter. I don’t have photo shop but will look at some of the photo editing apps I have. Thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely great inspiration opportunities here! Interested to see where the water wheel leads.

    ReplyDelete