Monday, August 31, 2015

Where's Audrey Pt. 2

This project has been such fun and very challenging. Towards the end, I was burning the candle at both ends to get it done in time. My husband even took over the cooking to give me more sewing time.
Audrey loves to zip zippers so there are 2 in this book. She also loves princesses so how fitting to include Cinderella with Audrey as a princess in the upper corner.
I unfolded an envelope to use as a pattern for this next page. I sewed a giant hook and eye as a fastener and included some "Frozen" fabric cards along with Frozen gel markers inside.
This page was a last minute thought - to string a shoelace through the rings; it turned out to be her favorite thing to do. I sewed a white satin stitch as a path to follow. Olaf fabric of course!
Weaving is a difficult skill for a toddler so this will be for later on.
but I included a lot of jungle animals underneath the weaving which she loved.
I loved this fabric with built in backyard scene and some cute chipmunks appliqued on. A small cover snaps over the picture and Audrey is peaking from behind.
Velcro as used in closures for sneakers is undone to reveal
some cute little kitty-cats.
A seat belt is opened to reveal....
Sully from Monster's Inc. It's amazing how familiar I've become with all the Pixars and Disney movies since having a grandchild - love it.
A dog house has a door which is snapped closed, when opened, a bunch of puppies along with Audrey.
 More buttons....
 and zippers....
 and snaps and velcro.
 I finished the edge of each page with a satin stitch...
 I put the pages together by spraying with a quilt adhesive spray, wrong sides together and a machine buttonhole stitch along the edge.
 I struggled with ways to put the pages together to make a book. Metal eyelets would be too bulky sewing wouldn't work as it was too thick. I finally realized I have this wonderful "eyelet" stitch on my BERNINA which worked beautifully. There were 13 eyelets along each edge. Narrow ribbon was strung through the eyelets to "bind the book".
 My son came up with the idea for the title -  printing with a crayon in a childlike handwriting. It was then scanned and printed on fabric.
 I wanted something to be writing the title so I cound this cute pencil on free clip art and printed it on fabric.
 The back cover used the same fabric as the front.
 The arrows show where Audrey's picture is, handles make it easy to carry around...
and a velcro closure with a big red heart finishes it off - made with so much love for the most darling little girl I know. I love being a grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment